Sunday, June 15, 2008

Confessions of a Hospital Drama Queen

I love gossip and rumors. Especially ones that say my brother is dead, or that his girlfriend is out sleeping around and hates him, when really she's at the hospital crying everyday. People can really be jerks sometimes.

By the way... does ANYONE read this? and if so, will you please admit to it by leaving a comment. I'm lonely and don't have a lot of time to chat online or talk on the phone, but it's nice to know that people (besides Erica) like me.

In today's/yesterday's news, my brother's nurse last night was acting all dumb and confused and didn't understand why my parents wanted a consult with the doctor. Duh - because he's a parapalegic and doesn't know it yet, isn't that a good enough reason to get to see a doctor around here? Anyway, she told me that he knew everything about his injuries already and we were all pretty pissed about that if it is true b/c we don't even know when they told him or who told him. So this morning Marisa and I were in there hanging out with Bub and he was in a good mood and chatting with us about random stuff and I asked him about his legs. He told me that he moved them once and that he was in the hospital until they fixed them. I almost started crying because he only knows that they won't work and he thinks it is going to be fixed. We pretty much left immediately after that so I could go talk to my parents.

Later today, we finally got a doctor and Mom, Dad, Mandy, and I went to a conference room to talk to him. He showed us pictures of Robbie's injuries before and after his surgery and explained everything. We then decided to go into Robbie's room and talk to him right then with the doctor. Robbie was sitting up in his turtle shell cast thing and they showed him the same pictures on the screen and the doctor explained that he would never walk again. He looked shocked and said, "Never?". That was pretty much all he said about it. It was nice that they let all of us in the room when they talked to him instead of the normal two at a time rule. We were all crying a little, but it really was time that he knows about this so that he can start moving on with his life.

I haven't spent any alone time with him yet, but probably will later tonight. I know he's upset, but hopefully he realizes that things will be okay, their just going to be quite a bit different. Life doesn't always turn out the way we expect, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.

As Robbie said a couple of days ago, Everything happens for a reason. I hope he still believes that.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I read it!!!! But apparently that isn't enough...LOL

AGUecker said...

Hey..I just found out about this site.

Homegrown {& the Bug} said...

Hi Racheal...
I read it! Mandy worked for me a bit last summer and I hated to hear about what happened to Robbie, for her sake and yours. My mom is also best friends with Mandy's mom Gina so she's been keeping me up to date but lately, I've been filling her in with the stuff I'm picking up here. Life blows balls sometimes man, but you're right - Robbie will be fine one day. I know that sounds really annoying coming from a semi-stranger but he's got a big family and he's got Mandy, and knowing what I know of your brother through her, I know that he'll keep on truckin'. Know that you, your family, and your brother, are in all of our thoughts...

Anonymous said...

I read this blog too, but you know I do and I refuse to comment on it just to let you know something that you already know. So, this is me not commenting.