Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Moment of Truth

so... after all that jazz, I PASSED...
and i feel great about it, i'm super excited to actually start my life as an attorney
except that i feel a little bit guilty
as evidenced by this blog, among other things,
I didn't put in an extraordinary amount of effort to study
there are plenty of people who did study really really hard, for months, and still failed

The pass rate for the July 2008 California bar exam was 61.8%.
The discussion board I post on regarding the exam, has a lot of good advice, including, you CANNOT pass if you do not put in the required effort.

That's obviously a lie.
Maybe the people who say that are paid by BarBri and other companies that sell review courses to scare people into spending millions of dollars preparing for the bar exam. The Barbri course alone costs appoximately $3000 depending on which state you are in, if you need the ipod version b/c you can't do live classes, add another $1000. And most schools and companies encourage you to take PMBR or some other course that helps you prepare for the MBE and the MPT. Those courses are never cheaper than about $1000.

Here's what i spent...

$550 (approximately, for Barbri complete set of books from 2007 off Ebay) ****
$25 at Kinko's to print and turn my outlines into a book
$10 on random highlighters, post it's, and other stupid shit that I used mostly to convince myself that i was studying when in reality i was coloring
--------- for a total of $585-----------------

unless you want to include all the money i spent at Kohl's, Old Navy, etc, when i went shopping to distract myself from studying.... maybe if i would have taken the live barbri course, I wouldn't have had the free time to go shopping:-)

**** After the bar exam, I sold this entire lot of books on ebay, for about $525, so i only lost about $25.
___________________________________

I think i'm going to start updating about my job search, I forgot how much I enjoy typing random shit for me and stacey to read and laugh at.... and maybe a few other people.

1 comment:

AGUecker said...

I think you're kind of a rock star for passing the bar after spending so little.

Best not to brag about it though. You can know how awesome you are.